How to use Google Calender and Tasks to Plan and schedule your work
January 22, 2012
Planning & Scheduling Work with Tasks & Calenders :
You can plan your work or schedule it for the next date, in gmail itself. How, let us see..
1. Tasks – This can be done in 2 ways
a) In side bar you will see a menu item called “Tasks”
b) From Incoming or Sent mail.
Let us see how we can use that with an example. If you have received a mail which is an inquiry for you service you are selling. To reply that, you need to discuss with some of your collegues or partners and after 2 days you will reply that, But the “NEXT ACTION” is to talk to you collegues, tomorrow. Now,
Go to the selected email, open that
- Click on the drop down arrow on option called “More”
- Select “Add to Tasks”
Now, at the right side bottom on your screen, a “Task” window will open. You can name the task as “ friend’s enquiry “ or any thing as per your need. Enter the details in short as to what happened or what you have planned to do etc & enter the date also. The task will be shown in your “CALENDER” on that particular day. You can create many lists for tasks such as business task, personal task you can move those tasks between lists as well.
To see the tasks, go to menu item called “ calenders ” on your gmail screen. Right on top where all other options are mentioned like Documents, More options etc.
2. Calendars – Tasks can be viewed in calenders, But a calender event has a facility to be viewed directly inside your gmail. How, let’s see..
When you receive an important email, such as a reminder for your monthly credit card payment or a quarterly EMI for you c.c. account or a similar invitation.
These are not “TASKS”, these are “EVENTS”. Task are usually decided by you, and hence usually in your mind. But events are “fixed”.
So, open the mail, go to the “More” option & add event to the calender. You can name whatever you want & enter the details within, but most important in this are :
- The Frequency – Select the repeating frequency of this event if it is repeating. So gmail will remind you at every accurance or else, create the event for just one time.
- Reminders – Very important, Enter when you want to be reminded by gmail. You can add a no of reminder say like – 1 day, 2days & 5 days before the date is done.
- Sharing – you can share the calender with your team also, like your P. A. etc.
By default the calender gets created on your email ID. But you can add many calenders to that.
If you have calender on an other email like on Yahoo, you can import those events or vise versa.